Santha Pundalika and the creation of Pandarpur!

Om Jai Sai Ram! My humble prostrations to the lord of one and all, my Sadguru who is an incarnation of Panduranga himself! It is due to the devotion of countless devotees that the lord takes form and comes to free the burden of the helpless and poor and thus becomes Sagun Sakar (With form and attributes), though he is originally nirgun nirakar (formless and without attributes). I who am a dullard, place my ego before the feet of the Sadguru and plead him to help me and guide me to sing his glory, for in singing his glory only lies real happiness!

Now I begin to describe the latter part of the life of Pundalika. In the previous post, I described how Pundalika became changed man, after the darshan (vision) of Ganga,Yamuna and Saraswathi! Now Pundalika knew no other work other than serving his parents. After much piligrimage, the family of Pundalika returned to that very spot near the Chandrabhaga river and camped there. In the night, Pundalika sat near his parents as usual, massaging their legs and singing the divine name of Hari. He was immersed in his work as the bee is attracted to the sweet nector in flowers.

Now during this very night a miraculous incident occured. I plead all to hear with attention to the marvellous leela of Panduranga. One day much before Pundalika came to Chandrabhaga, Lord Krishna and Rukmini had an argument. Upset with her lord, Rukmini left for the Dandirvan forests in the south. Lord Krishna went there and calmed her with his irresistable charm. Then Rukmini addressed the almighty lord thus "Oh Swami, how you do test me and irritate me at times. But it is indeed impossible to be angry with you for long. Let us now return to Dwaraka". The Lord replied thus, "Oh Rukmini, I am glad that you wish to return. But it is quite late now. I am a little tired. There is near the river Chandrabhaga a great devotee called Pundalika encamped. I wish to meet him and rest there awhile." So saying, the lord took Rukmai(Mother Rukmini in Marathi) and arrived at the hut where Pundalika was massaging the feet of his beloved parents. 

Lord Krishna called out Pundalika thus, "Oh great devotee of Hari, I, Krishna have come with Rukmini to meet you. Please come outside."

Pundalika was stunned at this revelation, but he was equally purturbed, he dare not leave until his parents sleep. So thinking, he addressed Lord Krishna in a soft tone with tears in his eyes and his throat choked "Oh Lord, how you test your devotees. Please forgive me, but I do not wish to be a sinner by waking my parents in the middle of the night. I shall massage their legs until they sleep and then only I can come to you my Lord. People indeed long for your darshan, and it is the same in my case. But I am helpless of Murari (Killer of the demon Mura). Being poor, I do not even have a seat to offer to you. There just lies a brick here. You could stand on it, and prevent your lotus feet and beutiful robes from getting dirty. Forgive me oh most compassionate one". Thus saying, he put a brick outside for Lord Krishna to stand on.

Both Lord Krishna and Rukmai were impressed by Pundalik's devotion to his parents. They waited outside. While this was going on, Pundalik's parents awoke and wondered, why tonight for some reason, they were not getting any sleep. They felt strangely blissful, as though they were in the vicinity of Hari himself. And that indeed was the case.

They saw the tear stained face of Pundalika, and asked him "Oh dear son, what is the matter? Why do you cry thus? Please tell us the reason? We cannot stand you getting hurt. And also, strangely we feel very energetic and blissful. We feel as though god is in our midst. What strange feeling is this? And we can see from the moon light there are people outside our hut. Who might they be?". 

Now Pundalika told them all that had transpired. The parents were worried and happy at the same time. They spoke to their son thus, "Oh Pundalika, we do appreciate your service to us. But you did not go out and fall at the feet of Panduranga, when he should come to our doorstep. What foolishness is this? Let us go at once and beg the lord's forgiveness". Saying thus, they ran out and fell at the lotus feet of Lord Krishna and Rukmai.

Pundalika's parents adressed Lord Krishna thus "Hey Keshava, protector of the poor and helpless. Please forgive our son's mistake. He has indeed comitted a grave sin by not coming out and taking your darshan, and he made you wait on a brick outside in the cold night air. We beg your forgiveness oh most compassionate one! People long for your darshan and yet our son made you wait thus. Please do forgive all of us".

Lord Krishna thus addressed them all, "Oh Janudeva, why do you become so anxious for no reason at all? I am most pleased with Pundalika and his sincere devotion to you. Verily, by this selfless service to you his parents, he has pleased me. What more happiness can there be. Blessed are you to have Pundalika for your son. Arise Pundalika, I will grant you any boon you desire!"

Now Lord Krishna was parabrahma himself. He wore a crown on his head studded with peackock feathers, the Kausthuba jewels were on him. And his ear rings were of the shape of crocodiles. He wore a yellow garment. With his hands on his hips, he stood magnificiently on the brick. This sight enamoured one and all and all were in a blissful state. 

With tears in his eyes, and his hair standing on his head and his throat choked, Pundalika adressed Panduranga thus "Hey Panduranga! Hey Keshava! Your darshana alone brings real happiness. For verily in your and Rukmai's feet lies real happiness. Everything else in this world is transitory. The boon I seek is to have your blessed darshan like this everyday for eternity. It is my only wish that you must stay here like this for eternety and bless countless of your devotees thus".

Lord Krishna was pleased by this selfless wish of Pundalika. He agreed, and hence at that very spot sprang the swayambhu (Originating naturally) murthi of Panduranga and Rukmai. Lord Krishna adressed Pundalika and his family thus. "Behold this murthi of mine, for it verily represents me. It will bless countless people in the right path and lead them to me. Notice on the head, there is the Shiva Linga, which is another representation of me. Though dusky in complexion, my devotees will call this murthi Panduranga, for it is one with Lord Shiva too".

"And then behold the murthi of Rukmini. This will be worshipped by countless devotees, who will look upon her like a mother and me like a father. She is bedecked like Lakshmi and is one with her".

Pundalika was pleased. He felt most happy and blissful. A giant temple was constructed over the murthis. Over the years, countless saints came to Pandarpur and inspired people to make annual trips to Pandarpur. Blessed is Pundalika and blessed is Pandarpur, where Vitoba and Rukmai are present. Pandarpur veritably became a bhoo Vaikunta (Lord Vishnu's abode on earth).

Thus ends the story of the saint and great devotee of Lord Panduranga, Santh Pundalika.
I offer my humble prostrations at the Lotus feet of Panduranga and Rukmai and Pundalika.

Bow to Shri Sai! Peace be to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swami Samarth Tarak Mantra

Ruso mama priyaambikaa

My father has the darshan of Swami Maharaj in his dream