Santh Jnaneshwar:Initiation into the Natha sect!

Om Jai Sai Ram! I humbly bow before my Sadguru, who is verily Panduranga himself. It is very difficult to describe him. The vedas have described him by saying "neti,neti" ("not this, not this). The Yavanas describe him as Allah Ilahi! The Christians call him Yehwah and father. But none truly can describe his glory in words, for that is next to impossible! What then, would a dullard like me do? Where is the way for me! There is one way and that is to hold the hand of the Sadguru. The Sadguru alone is the doer, and he alone can help me to sing his glory! I therefore pray to the Sadguru to guide me in this endeavor of mine!

In the previous post I described the circumstances under which that crest Jewel among saints, the veritable Panduranga was born as Santha Jnaneshwar. Vitthalpant, the illustrous father of Shree Jnanadev felt utterly disappointed, as he and his family were expelled from the Brahmin sect, he felt his children will go without the thread ceremony and will not be able to study the Vedas, the Vedangas and puranas. He knew his children were very much interested in Adhyathma (spirituality) and he felt he should somehow make sure that the Brahmins accept him and his family back into their fold! With this in mind, he went to meet the head of the Brahmin priests of Alandi.

All the brahmins of Alandi who were assembled there, were alarmed at seeing Vitthalpant. They started discussing thus, "Here comes Vitthalpant, who has committed sacrilage by going against the scriptures! I wonder what he wants". Vitthalpant came and pleaded before them! He poured his heart in front of them. Some of the brahmins were moved but most of them were stubborn. They held a hurried discussion, however they could reach no conclusion. They replied thus to Vitthalpant, "Oh Vitthalpant, it is not in our power to accept you back into our fold. Please go to Paithan, and consult the scholarly Brahmins there. They and only they have the power of providing you with a Shuddhi patra (Letter of purification)". Saying thus they sent Vitthalpant away.

Now, Vitthalpant wanted to seek the blessings of the Lord before proceeding to Paithan. Hence he and his family went to Triyambakeshwar at Nasik to worship and propitiate Lord Shiva. One day, while they were roaming around in the lush green forests surrounding Triyambakeshwar, they one day heard a loud roar. They saw to their horror, a huge tiger staring at them hungrily at some distance. The roar of the tiger was so deffening , that they thought the world itself had come to an end. They ran wildly towards the place where they had encamped. On reaching there, they found to their horror, that Nivritthi, the eldest son was not with them. The parents were grief stricken. However Jnaneshwar, who was barely a five year old, calmed them and told them that his brother would return safe and sound. And how right was Jnaneshwar prabhu (Lord Jnaneshwar). Nivritthi did return but he was not the same Nivritthi now. He was Nivritthinath. He shone like the moon on a pournima (Full moon day). On asking where he went, the seven year old Nivritthinath told the most fabulous thing. Please listen to this with attention.

The Samartha Nivritthinath spoke thus " I ran blindly when I saw the tiger chasing me. Then I realized I had lost my way. I saw a cave not far from where I stood. I entered the cave to see many animals roaming around peacefully and in their midst sat a sage deep in meditation. He opened his eyes when he saw me and addressed me thus "Welcome oh child! I was waiting for you! I am Gahninath of the Nath sect. I am the desciple of the famous Gorakshanath! I have been ordained by the lord to initiate you into the Nath sect.(A shaivite sect, which rejected the caste system, and worshipped Lord Shiva. A Guru puja was done, with the guru lineage going all the way to Lord Shiva)" Then he initiated me into the Nath sect and asked me to intiate Jnanadev into it. We have been ordered to preach the Bhagavat dharma (Which views the universe as brethren). " To which Vitthalpant replied with tear filled eyes, "Oh Nivritthinath, the orders of the holy one must be obeyed! Please initiate your brother Jnanadev!". So Nivritthi took Jnanadev to a secluded spot and initiated him into the mysteries of the Nath sect.

Thus did Nivritthinath at the age of 7 and Jnanadev at the age of 5 became initiated into the Nath sect and became changed beings. They were like a diamond which was cut,hewn and polished. They shone with the splendor which reminded people of Lord Shankara and Lord Vishnu, whose incarnations they were indeed. In a decade or two they were to create a spiritual revolution in the length and breadth of Maharashtra. Thus did the incarnations on that one being come to the aid of the poor and the helpless. I humbly bow before them and it is by their grace that I am able to write the above blog.

Jai Jai Ram Krishna Hari!

Anantha Koti Brahmanda Nayaka Raja Dhi Raja Yogiraja Parabrahma Shree Satchitananda Sadguru Sainath Maharaj ki Jai!

Bow to Shree Sai! Peace be to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swami Samarth Tarak Mantra

Ruso mama priyaambikaa

My father has the darshan of Swami Maharaj in his dream