Santha Narahari : Vitthala or Shiva?

Om Shree Ganeshaya Namaha! My humble prostrations to the primordial power unto whom obeisance is paid before undertaking any venture. All the Vedas, Shastras, arts and sciences have verily originated from you and yet they fall silent when trying to describe you. What then is the way for a dullard like me. But I know that I am not the doer. You alone are the inner-dweller of one and all, and knowing you to be the sole inspirer and doer of all great works, I muster the courage in singing your glory, for no earthly pleasure can equal the sweetness of the stories of Saints. Once lodged in the heart, the drive away desires and give us peace of mind. Along with this comes complete submission to the supreme will after which there is no dearth for anything in this world and  hereafter. I then fall flat at the feet of Mother Saraswathi, clad in a pristine white saree and a vermillon mark on her forehead, and the beautiful peacock along her side. The vedas and the Sahastras verily was heard by the seers when she played her mystical veena. Without the mother, where be the child? I humbly request you to help sing your glory. I then bow before Shree Sita Ramachandra. All the happiness in the world is to be found in this sweet name of Rama. Umapathi himself always meditates on this blissful name. I then bow before Girijapathi, the most generous Parabrahma, on whose form Lord Rama meditates. I then bow before the Sadguru, who is one with all the above. Sadguru is verily the ancient being of Pandhari who met Pundalika on the banks of the river Chandrabhaga. Sadguru alone is Panduranga. He alone is formless Parabrahman (God) who has taken form for the sake of the devotees. Knowing you to be the doer, oh Sadguru, I submit my ego at your lotus feet, which is the holiest place in the whole universe. Help me sing thy glory!

In the previous post, was described, how Narahari, the staunch devotee of Lord Shiva,  could not fashion a belt that would fit the waist of Vitthala. He did not want to visit or see any deity other than his Lord Shiva.  And the measurements that the merchant accurately made with the thread somehow never helped Narahari fashion a belt of the right size. Frustrated with so many attempts, Narahari, ever true to his word decided to go to the Eagle platform at Pandhari blindfolded and measure Vitthala himself.

Notice now the miracle performed by Umapati (Consort of Uma)! Or was it a miracle performed by the ancient lord of Pandhari Vitthala? That too will be answered by this miraculous incident itself.

Many eyes gazed upon the curious pair as they traversed through the busy markets towards Pandharpur. The merchant leading in the front with his eyes open and holding his hand and walking behind him blindfolded was Narahari himself. It seemed apt that he was blindfolded as he headed towards the eagle platform. For it seemed, he had indeed closed his eyes to the real nature of Pashupathinath (The lord of all creatures - Lord Shiva) , the God of Gods.

"Behold now Uma, what I do! I am now going to help my dear child Narahari realize my true nature. Divisions of any sort exist not in this universe" said Lord Shiva to  Mother Parvathi seated beside him. "I am curious oh Lord, to see your divine play" replied Uma.

No sooner than she had said this, the pair of the merchant and Goldsmith reached Pandharpur. One was devout to Vitthala. The other considered Shiva as his all in all. One was worldly yet not blind to the glory of God. The other was thinking of Shiva all the time and yet did not neglect his worldly duties. What way could one compare this pair? It was as though the musical giants Narada and Tumburu were heading to the Eagle platform to witness the glorious form of Panduranga.

On reaching the Eagle platform Narahari felt an inner quiet and peace that was profound and unfathomable. Who knows this feeling but those dear to Panduranga himself. It is this that made Namadeva sing and dance with glee. It is this very same thing that enamored Santh Jnaneshwar.  Was it not this form that brought Choka Mela to the gates of the ancient temple?

"We have arrived at the holy presence of Vitthala, oh Narahari!" said the Merchant. "Come forward a few steps so you could feel him and measure his waist accurately. At your hands there will be no mistakes, of this I am certain" said the merchant.

Moving a few steps forward, Narahari touched the top of the murthi. "You are now touching the crown of Vitoba" said the merchant. "What is this?" thought Narahari. "These are matted locks! I feel no crown!" Then as he lowered his arms "You are now touching the neck" said the merchant. "Verily I feel a serpent now" thought Narahari to himself. On going lower the merchant remarked  "There now you are touching his waist, measure please accurately so  you could fashion a belt worthy of the Lord". "I feel the skin robes, this is none other than Lord Shiva himself" thought Narahari. So positive was he that it was Shiva, that he pulled the blindfold hastily and prostrated then and there and shouted with happiness "Oh Lord Shiva! It is you!". The perplexed merchant remarked "Why Narahari, you are mistaken. This is the murthi of the ancient Lord of Pandharapur who appeared before the blessed Pundalika!" . " Notice if you will, the beautiful crown, the neck bedecked by the magnificent Vaijayanthi Mala (necklace) and the yellow robes. Also see the blissful benign smile, which bewitches one and all" continued the merchant! "You have verily imagined this murthi to be that of your beloved Lord Shiva!"

Narahari felt that his eyes were decieving him! So sure was he, that he had touched his beloved deity Girijapathi himself! "I believe not what you say, oh merchant! Though my eyes now confirm what you just said, still I believe you not! Here take this cloth, and tie it around my eyes real tight again!"

The merchant found this request strange but complied. Then Narahari touched Vitthala again and felt the Jata (Matted locks) at the top, the serpent at the neck and the skin cloth instead of the robes. This was lord Shiva himself and there was no doubt in this! This time he pleaded to Lord Shiva to show himself and took off his blindfold, only to behold Vitthala standing gracefully before him on the brick! But this was a momentary sight, for it was replaced by a vision of Lord Shiva standing on the very same brick. There was the matted locks instead of the crown, the serpent instead of  the necklace and the famed skin cloth of the ascetic that was enrobed on Mahadeva (God of Gods). With tears in his eyes, his hairs standing on their ends and throat choked unable to utter any words, Narahari fell at the feet of Lord Shiva crying! He said "My lord, not in vain was my worship to you! Finally I behold you! Please let me be here at your feet all the time! I want to spend the rest of my life here" and then on getting up, he again beheld the bewitching form of Vitoba! Unable was Narahari to comprehend what was happening. A brilliant light shone from the murthi, and it all came to Narhari. The implications of this event hit him hard!

"Forgive me oh Lord!" Said he. "You are Vitthala, you are my Shiva! You are Madhava, you are Keshava! You are Narayana and you are Shiva". So saying he wept soulfully at the feet of Vitoba. "What a fool I have been. Really blindfolded was I, oh Vitthala to your true nature! Difference there is none, between Shiva and Vitthala. Just as difference there is none, between one living being to the next. Also similar to this is the fact that, difference there is none, between you and your creation! Foolish was I not to see this!"

"All my worship and merits of past lives have yielded fruit, that I reached your abode! Now that I am here, I shall not leave your lotus feet!"

So saying Narahari fell prostrate at Vitthala's feet!

"Foolish is he oh Uma, who seeks me alone and hates Narayana!" said Lord Shiva at Kailasa! "Foolish also is he who seeks Narayana and hates me!" . "My nature is that I alone exist as one! There is no second being! I am alone present everywhere. Some call me Shiva. Some call me Vitthala. Some call me Krishna. But remember this always! Difference there is obviously none" said the Lord.

"You have shown your mercy upon your true devotee my Lord! Henceforth his progress towards you is rapid" said Uma.

"Verily he has become one with me today, for he has lost all sense of self" said Lord Shiva.

And that is indeed what had happened! Narahari had reached the final stage of realization. He had realized the oneness of God, and knew that God alone exists and everything else is an illusion!

Thus by this beautiful incident, Panduranga showed everyone that he is none other than Shiva and Shiva is none other than Panduranga. Blessed were those who witnessed this event. True to his word, Narahari spent the reminder of his life at Pandharpur, ever singing the glory of Vitthala and composed many a Abhangas (Devotional songs).

|| Jai Jai Ram Krishna Hari ||

|| Om Namaha Shivaaya ||

|| Shree Satchitananda Sadguru Sainath Maharaj ki Jai ||

Bow to Shree Sai! Peace be to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swami Samarth Tarak Mantra

Ruso mama priyaambikaa

My father has the darshan of Swami Maharaj in his dream