Santha Jnaneshwara : Sanjivani Samadhi

Om Shree Ganeshaya Namaha! Om Saraswatyai Namaha! Om Kuladevatyai Namaha! Om Shree Samartha Sadguru Sainaathaya Namaha! First I bow before Lord Ganesha, the Moreshwara! Thou art described by the Vedas merely as "Not this! Not this!". Oh all encompassing Lord, help this child of yours sing your glory. I then bow before Mother Saraswathi. Thou art the embodiment of knowledge, oh mother, I submit before thy lotus feet. As my master Lord Shankara said, even though a son is wicked a mother never is. Hence oh, mother, please forgive all my faults and give me refuge at your feet. I then bow before my family dieties, Mother Chandala Parameshwari and Lord Sangameshwara, the embodiments of Shakthi and Shiva. The formless Shiva with Shakthi created the manifold forms in the universe. I then bow before the lotus feet of the Samartha Sadguru Sainath Maharaj! Oh, without the mother, what will the child do? The Sadguru is verily the one god, who appears in manifold forms. His feet are the universe to his devotees, and by clinging on to this, one realizes his self. Oh veritable Panduranga, Lord of Pandhari, with mother Rukmai by your side, thou has blest many a devotees who sought refuge in thee! Why then dost thou ignore me? You are famous as a protector of your devotees. I humbly place my ego at your lotus feet. Help me sing the tale of your glorious incarnation as Santha Jananadeva.

Sweet is a sugar candy and sweeter still is the smile of a child. A hundred times sweeter than this are the tales of the Saints. Blessed is he, who has a yearning to hear their divine stories. By listening to the same, one gets a disgust for the objects of the world and his progress towards the abode of Lord Vasudeva is firmly established. Now hear the tale of how Lord Jnanadeva, the incarnation of Vitthala of Pandhari, took Mahasamadhi (Left his mortal coil) at a very tender age of 21, having accomplished the purpose of his incarnation.

In the previous post on Santha Jnanadeva, I explained how Santha Jnanadeva expressed his desire to perform Sanjivani Samadhi (To leave the physical world willingly and to merge with the formless supreme self). Lord Nivritthinath, his guru and brother asked him to write a book embodying all his spiritual experiences. And thus came another jewel from the treasure trove of knowledge called Jnanadeva, and this priceless jewel was called the Amruthanubhava. Having accomplished the same, Santha Jnanadeva came again to his guru and brother Santha Nivritthinath and said "Oh Gurudev! Your lotus feet has helped me accomplish the task of writing the "Amruthanubhava". Now I feel that my duties in this earthly life are over. I wish to merge with the supreme. Hence, please allow me to perform Sanjivani Samadhi". The all knowing and wise Gurudev, Nivritthinath, knew this to be the truth and agreed.

The news quickly spread and the devotees prepared a samadhi location near the Siddheshwara temple (Temple of Lord Shiva) at Alandi. The saints and devotees were most pained. They felt like a calf about to be separated from it's mother, or like a rich man about to lose all his wealth. Seeing their pained faces Lord Jnanadeva assured them thus "Why do you cry oh dear brothers and sisters? Am I just this body? Do not identify me with it. I was there before my birth in this body, and I will exist after my death too. Birth and death are only of the body. The soul is immortal. I will always help you and guide you from my resting place. Remember that I am ever present".  Thus on the 13th day of the dark half of the Karthik month, towards the end of October of 1296, Santha Jnaneshwar took the blessings of his guru Nivritthinath, bade farewell to Sopan, Muktha  and all the other assembled saints. He entered the chamber and once inside, merged into the supreme and formless brahman.  Thus ended the glorious incarnation of Lord Vitthala as Santha Jnaneshwar. Blessed is Alandi by the presence of Lord Vitoba as Santha Jnaneshwar. If anyone reads the Jnaneshwari near the samadhi of Lord Jnaneshwar, all his doubts will be cleared. I beseech Lord Jnanadeva to bless one and all.

Within a short span of 8 months all the other brother and sister saints took mahasamadhi. Sopan entered into Samadhi on the banks of the river Karha at Saswad, which is at the bottom of the hill Purandhar, near Pune. Chang Dev attained Samadhi in a village called Punatamba. Muktabai dissolved herself in the five elements at the age of eighteen, when there was a big storm. Nivritti entered into Samadhi at Tryambak which is at the source of the Godavari. (Source biography of Saints by Swami Shivananda)

It is said that Santha Namadeva was most pained by this incident. As he was wailing and crying helplessly at Pandharapura, Lord Vitoba appeared before him. The blessed Lord said "Oh Namadeva! Why do you cry for no reason? Do you not see, that I am only Jnaneshwara? I came embodied in a human form. Once my work got accomplished, I returned to my formless self. I am here only! Why do you cry?" . Thus was Namadeva consoled and everyone realized that Jnanadeva was none other than Panduranga.

Blessed is he, who has had the good fortune of visiting the samadhi of Lord Jnanadeva. Blessed is he who hears the stories of the blessed incarnation of Lord Vitoba. He who hears this story, by the grace of Panduranga, his threefold afflictions will vanish. And being egoless he will soon merge with the supreme brahman. Sharath, the humble servant of Samartha Sadguru Sainath, offers this to his lotus feet. He verily is the doer and I am a mere instrument in his hands. Let us all get together and sing the aarthi of the glorious incarnation of the lord of Pandhari, Lord Jnanadeva, which is like nectar to the ears.


JNANESWAR AARTI

Composed by : Rama Janardhani Swami.

Lopale jnaana jagin – hita nenatee konee
Avataara Panduranga – nam ttevile jnanee

Knowledge had disappeared from the world. No one knew what was good or right. Then the Pandurang Avatar (incarnation) came and manifested in human form. The learned called him thus.

Aaratee Jnaanaraaja – mahaa kaivalya tejaa
Sevitee Saadhusanta – hmanu vedhalaa maazha Aaratee Jnaanaraaja.

Refrain:

Aarti Jnyan Raja! (Lord of wisdom). Great divine essence and light! Served by Saints and sadhus as you are, you have engrossed my mind.
Aarti Jnyan Raja!
Kanakachee tat kareen – Ubhyaa gopikaa naaree
Narada tumbaraho – samgaayan karee Aaratee Jnaanaraaja….

With golden Thalis (Round platters filled with puja i.e. worship items) in their hands, gopikas and other woman are standing. Narad and Tumbar are singing Samveda! ( One of the four Vedas). Aarti …

Pragata guhya bole – vishwa brahmachi kele
Rama Janardanee – payee masthak ttevile Aaratee Jnaanaraaja….

The secret knowledge has been disclosed that the universe is created by Brahma. Ram, Janardani! I bow and place their heads at the feet of the Lord. Aarti ….

--Jai Jai Ram Krishna Hari!

--Jai Pundalika Varadhe, Hari Hare! Shree Jnanadev, Tukaram Sainath Maharaj ki Jai!

--Shree Satchitananda Sadguru Sainath Maharaj Ki Jai!

--Bow to Shree Sai! Peace be to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swami Samarth Tarak Mantra

Ruso mama priyaambikaa

My father has the darshan of Swami Maharaj in his dream