Santha Narahari : The golden belt

Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha! I bow before the lord also called by the name Heramba (Five headed manifestation of Lord Ganesh). With the sharp axe of discrimination, you chop through the forest of obstacles with great ease. I bow before you and seek shelter at your lotus feet. Kindly help me sing thy glory. I then fall at the feet of Mother Saraswathi. Without the mother's help, where be the child? Oh mother, only by thy grace can I sing to my heart's content, the glory of the saints. I then bow before my gurudeva, Sainath Maharaj, an incarnation of Lord Dattatreya and most generous and  merciful like a mother. Oh Sainatha, listen to my prayer and holding my hands, help me sing thy glory.

Once Uma asked her consort at Kailas "My  lord, in this Kaliyuga, when Bharatakhanda (The land of Bharatha) is beseiged by invading Mlecchas (Barbarians), and righteousness has declined to the fullest, whom do you claim in the mortal realm, is a befitting devotee of yours? Is there such a one, who is as devoted to you as Dashagreeva of Lanka?".


The merciful Lord replied "Uma, what you say is true. However,  there are still noble souls on earth who are verily the embodiments of myself! For providing succor to people in these difficult times, I myself manifest as various Saints in the holy land near the Godavari, where Sage Gautama once performed severe penances"

"Near the land, where the devotee Pundalika was blessed by the Vaikuntapathi (Lord of Vaikunta - the realm of Lord Vishnu). Where the great saint Namadeva sang the glories of the consort of Rukmini, there lives a humble goldsmith by the name of Narahari"

"His devotion is verily as pure as the gold that he works upon, fashioning various ornaments. However he has only one impurity!"

Aparna,curious asked "What impurity is that my Lord?"

"Uma! he has a most basic delusion about my nature! This is the only thing that is holding him back!"

Mother Parvathi then said "Oh Lord! When you are there like a mother to your devotees, how can he go astray?  You should help him now!"

The Lord on whose locks, the pure water of the Ganges descends to the earth said "True! I shall rid him of the delusion, and bring him to my realm! He will pass through a test and the end of which he will realise my true nature"

It was sometime in the 13th century. In the holy city of Pandharpur, there lived the goldsmith by the name of Narahari. Neither had he read the Vedas nor the Shastras. The secret mysteries of the Hatha Yoga he knew not! However in the intense heat of his devotion to Umapathi (The consort of Uma - Lord Shiva), He melted the gold that was his soul, and he got rid of all the impurities, before fashioning his life into a beautiful ornament dedicated to Lord Shiva. For the name of Girijapathi (Lord Shiva) never left his lips.

One day this very Narahari was visited by a rich merchant. The merchant spoke thus, "Fortunate am I oh Narahari, that there exists such a goldsmith as you, for none can excel you in your craftsmanship and  honesty. You are very dear to the Lord, and hence I come to you. I want a waist belt made of gold. I want it to be of exquisite beauty and studded with gems. I want no cost to be spared!"

Narahari replied "It is Lord Shiva himself, who fashions these ornaments. I am a mere instrument! But tell me, oh friend! Who is this belt for? You speak as though you are commissioning it for a King?"

The merchant replied, "Why it is for the King of Kings! The very life breath of the Universe! I want to give this belt to Lord Vitthala. He has been too kind to me! Will you take up this commission?"

At this mention, Narahari shuddered a little. He seemed grim and he spoke thus " Oh merchant, I am sorry! I cannot make this belt! It is best that you go to some other goldsmith! For I have taken an oath, that I shall look at none but my beloved deity Lord Shiva. To make this belt, I have to see the deity Vitthala, and take his measurements! This is not possible".

The merchant was shocked at this, and asked "Surely Narahari, you know as well as I do, that you are the best goldsmith around for miles. Where can I find another like you. Can you please reconsider your decision?"

Narahari replied  "I do not even look at the temple, then how do you expect me to see the deity, oh friend! What you ask is not possible! I am only Lord Shiva's  servant, and I shall serve none else! But wait! There may be a way!"

The merchant asked happily "So you will do it after all? But what about your resolve to not visit the temple?"

Narahari replied "The resolve stays! My Lord Shiva is so generous! One has to just think of him and he removes the most severe of problems! He has inspired me to come up with a solution to your problem!"

"Take this thread, and measure the waist of the deity most dear to you. Bring it back to me, and I shall make the belt"

The merchant was happy at this suggestion and left to the temple of the ancient Lord of Pandhari!

In the next post, I shall describe by the grace of the Sadguru the beautiful leela (Divine play)  of Rukminipathi (Consort of Rukmini- Lord Krishna).

Jai Jai Ram Krishna Hari!

Shree Satchitananda Sadguru Sainath Maharaj  ki Jai!

Bow to Shree Sai! Peace be to all!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swami Samarth Tarak Mantra

Ruso mama priyaambikaa

My father has the darshan of Swami Maharaj in his dream